Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My Serenity
Need to clear my mind,
Need to get out of this house,
This prison I am in.
Jump in my car, start to drive.
Turn right for further aggravation,
Or turn left for salvation.
Left is the path I choose.
Needing to be closer to my God.
I pray the entire trip.
Thirty minutes later, I have arrived
At my church, God’s creation.
Feeling empty inside, I kick off my shoes.
I dash to the water’s edge.
Cool, wet sand seeps between my toes.
Looking out to the horizon,
Slicing the sky from the water,
Feeling the beauty starting to immerse me.
I close my eyes, start to pray,
“God, give me strength today.”
Deep breathe in, salty air consumes my lungs.
Feeling the weight lift off my shoulders.
Exhaling the worry, the stress,
The pain, the heartbreak.
Breathe in strength, Breathe out sorrow.
Cleansing my thoughts with every breath of sea air.
Waves crash with powerful force,                       
Sinking my feet deeper into the sand.
The soothing sound washes through me.
The ocean pulls away, taking the hurt,
Piece by piece, leaving serenity in its place.
Feeling the warmth on my face,
God is all around me.
I can feel him cover my body, my soul.





3 comments:

  1. Oh what a nice poem. I'm defiantly feeling the need for the ocean after this cold season. What a way to connect to nature it's so great. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! The ocean and the springs are my renewal space! I love how you opened your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! The ocean and the springs are my renewal space! I love how you opened your poem.

    ReplyDelete